Taking care of cosmetics
Cosmetics is created to care for us and to make us beautiful. But we have to take care of it. The most important rule is that cosmetics should not be expired. Using the expired products is not just bad, but dangerous for health. Also improper care of cosmetics can lead to unpleasant consequences.
Your favorite products will serve you with its quality as long as possible if you to know the following secrets:
1. Examine the contents of your cosmetic bag.
Remove all the products with broken caps, cracked ones, etc. Put the creams, foundations, etc. in new jars, lipsticks in a small container or palette. The products that it are not possible to recover throw away without regret.
2. Get rid of your cosmetics, the shelf life of which has expired!!!
The shelf life of cosmetics can be found in several ways:
- Usually it is indicated on the package seams.
- Or look for a batch code. In this numbers indicate the expiration date of the product. It can be checked on special sites or in the program on the phone.
But! The shelf life of the products that are open or closed usually differs rather much. For example, the expiration date indicated on the seam is until 2017, but also there is an icon that after opening it is good to use only during 12 months. Therefore, we should look at this “icon of the open product”. And try to use all the cosmetics within 12 months)))
But sometimes this “icon of the open product” is not listed on the cosmetics. Then we pay attention to the overall shelf life of cosmetics:
Moisturizers – 2 years
Cleansers – 1 year
Eye Creams – 6 months
Sunscreens – 2 years
Face creams – 2 years
Anti-Ageing, Acne & Problem Skin Products – 12 months
Body lotions – 2-3 years
Liquid and cream foundation – 2 years (In the water-based products moisture gradually evaporates, bacteria start to breed, and the products properties deteriorate)
Concealer – 2 years
Powder – 2 years
Powder blush – 2 years
Cream blush – 2 years
Lip and eye pencils – 12-18 months
Eyebrow pencils – 1 year
Eye shadow – 2 years
Mascara – 6 months (With time bacteria appear and the mascara changes its consistency – it thickens, loses moisture and dries up)
Eye liners – 6 months
Lipsticks – 12-18 months
Lip glosses – 12-18 months
Nail polishes – 1 year
Organic products – 6-12 months
- You can also write a letter directly to the website of the cosmetic brand and ask the shelf life of the product.
- I use the phone app, with its help it’s very convenient to monitor the shelf life of cosmetics. There you need to enter the product’s name, the usage starting date, shelf life after opening, the shelf life code (if available), the product photo. And the app will notify you a month before the expiry date that soon you will need to replace this product.
3. Do not mix old cosmetics with the new one, otherwise you risk to transfer the bacteria from old products to the new ones.
4. If you notice any changes in your cosmetics in the form of its consistency, colour or smell – do not feel regret and throw them away even before the expiry date. It is not safe to use them as they can cause various dermatological problems.
If there appears redness, irritation – stop using the cosmetic product and contact your doctor (especially in case with the eyes). You can start to use the product again after you feel better. But if there appears an infection, it is necessary to replace all the products.
5. Make regular pencil sharpening.
The uneven surface of the pencil is wooden base can cause scratches to the eye delicate skin, even if you use expensive pencils that are made of soft wood.
6. Cosmetics is an individual means!
The same as a toothbrush or a comb for your hair. Never use someone else’s cosmetics and do not allow others to use yours! Otherwise you risk to get infections. Use your sponges, brushes and powder puffs.
7. Carefully study the packaging and storage instructions.
Some products must be stored in the refrigerator (for example, oxygen cosmetics). Some, on the contrary, categorically do not tolerate low temperatures. Don’t store cosmetics in the bathroom, too, because high humidity is prohibited for most products. The best storage temperature for most cosmetics is the room one. If you live in very hot countries, in summer you can put all the cosmetics in a container and store them on the bottom of the refrigerator shelf.
It’s much easier and more efficient to care for cosmetics than thoroughly audit it once a year.
And do you care for your cosmetics? Do you strictly observe expiration dates?